Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Humility, the presence of God, and why I love coaching

Many people often times look at me and ask "how in the world do you do what you do?" as they see me and know that I have two small children and a husband at home waiting for momma to get home. Coaching is a stressful job and one that is very thankless, however, where I work, I could not ask for a better place.  Being surrounded by like-minded coworkers and having an administration that is so supportive of you and your efforts.  Prep is truly an amazing place to work.  I also have the opportunity to work in the classroom as well.  The more opportunities I have to be in the classroom, the more I enjoy it.  Basketball has always been an important part of my life.  I have broken serious relationships in order to pursue my dream in playing collegiate basketball and also have spent many hours inside the gym trying to better myself and my abilities.  I have always been a competitor at heart, and I hate losing....I think that kind of comes with having a older brother always pushing you around or holding you down until your cried! :) However, I've always wanted to be "on-top" thinking that "being #1" would always be the best place to be.  And yes, being #1 is an amazing feeling, however, as some would say, staying there is the hard part.  When I began my coaching career at Mississippi College as a Graduate Assistant under Coach Duke, it only took me a few weeks to realize this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.  However, in the collegiate world, you don't have to deal with parents and the students are more responsible and held at a higher standard than those on the high school or junior high level.  I must admit that once I completed my 2-year assistantship at MC, I had high hopes for becoming a "great" high school basketball coach.  Thinking I had all the right aspirations, right mind-set, and people and coaching skills I needed to be successful, I went out and tried to find a coaching job that landed me in Ridgeland, MS at St. Andrew's.  Again, I must confess, looking back, I know that I made some MAJOR mistakes and major screw-ups.  However, luckily and fortunately, by God's divine graces, I have been able to overcome those and move on and grow from them.  Two years after St. Andrew's I was given the opportunity to work at Jackson Prep, and I have been here going on 4 years now.  Helping with the high school and junior high teams, I have really enjoyed seeing the girls develop and have loved being the encourager on the sidelines.  It has really helped me to have a completely different perspective in realizing that basketball is not a major priority in a lot of these girls' lives, however, they do give everything they have while they are here.  Most of them are very competitive and love to win.  Although we love to win here at Prep, one thing that I have come to love about my job is that we really try to get to know the girls and really try to show them that we care for them by being honest, open, and communicating our expectations for them.  We also try to show them what it takes to be a winner on the court, but also one off the court.  We strive to give the girls goals, or have them create their own goals, and personal goals as well.  One thing that I love about coaching is when a player comes to me to talk about "basketball" but God turns that opportunity into a chance to share His Gospel with His children.  This is the most humbling experience of all, that God would decide to use someone like me, who has been so disobedient, so prideful, and so useless at times, to use to share His love with others.  I believe having this group of co-workers to share our faith is part of that and encourages us as well not to be hesitant when God opens a door to share His Word or listen for His voice.  But I believe the only way we can continue to do this if we are in tune with His voice.  I, as a coach, must remember that this job is not about the wins (although they are very nice), not about the drills, or the attention, but all for GOD!  And that these are His children we are taking care of and nurturing to be the children His has called them to be.  My only hope is that I keep this perspective to be the wife, daughter, mother, sister, aunt, teacher, and coach that God has called me to be.  My prayer is that I can be uplifting and encouraging to those around me while still striving to pursue the goal ahead.  Thank you Jesus for making me who I am and forgive me where I fail you!  Humble me and show me your love and grace, so that I may be a light for you to others and spread you love, mercy, and grace to them as well. 

Colossians 3:23
"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord, and not for men."

Psalm 105:4
"Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His presence continually."

Romans 12:2
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know that plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." 

No comments:

Post a Comment